التهاب المفاصل هو التهاب يصيب احد المفاصل أو أكثر، مما يسبب الألم والتشنج والذي يتفاقم مع التقدم في العمر
التمارين الرياضية تساعد في تخفيف الالم وفي زيادة مجال الحركة وتحسن الحالة النفسية والقدرة على النوم
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints, causing pain and stiffness that can worsen with age.
Symptoms include pain, swelling, reduced range of motion and stiffness, and fatigue.
Living with arthritis:
What are the benefits of regular exercise?
Are there specific exercises recommended for patients living with arthritis?
What are the most common medications used to alleviate arthritis pain?
Exercise will aggravate my arthritis? False.
Benefits of Exercise
- Reduces pain and fatigue
- Improves range of motion and joint function
- Helps control your weight
- Makes it easier to get a good night’s sleep
- Elevates mood and decreases stress
Range of Motion Exercises
Range of motion (ROM) exercises are also known as stretching or flexibility exercises.
ROM exercises involve straightening and bending your joints in a controlled manner as far as they will comfortably stretch.
- Rolling your shoulders forward and backward
- Flexing and extending your wrists
ROM exercises can increase your ability to move your joints through their full, normal range of motion.
These exercises can help to relieve joint pain and stiffness.
They are also important for maintaining joint mobility, flexibility, and function.
Strengthening exercises help to build and strengthen muscles that support and protect your joints.
Be conscious of joint swelling!
- Weight training
- Isometric exercises
Aerobic exercise improves your cardiovascular health, helps you control your weight, and increases your energy levels.
Start slow and work up to your exercise goal.
Examples: Walking- Riding a bike- Swimming- Raking Leaves.
Together with your healthcare professional, choose an appropriate exercise program that you enjoy and can maintain.
Start SLOWLY, and be aware of any changes you notice in your body or energy levels.
Contact your doctor if you experience:
- Unusual or persistent fatigue or weakness
- Sharp, increased, or continued pain
- Increased joint swelling
- Decreased range of motion
Rheumatoid Arthritis Medications
#DMARDs (Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs)
Methotrexate: Requires careful monitoring to reduce risk of liver injury and infections.
Hydroxychloroquine: Your doctor will likely schedule regular eye exams.
Enbrel, Humira: Given subcutaneously. May experience injection site reactions.
#NSAIDs (Advil, Motrin….)
- NSAIDs can be very effective
- Higher doses of NSAIDs are needed to reduce inflammation
- Do not take over-the-counter NSAIDs with prescription NSAIDs
- Recommended as the first approach to treat pain
- Many over-the-counter cold medicines and multi-symptom relievers contain acetaminophen !
#Glucosamine and Chondroitin
- Builds and prevents the breakdown of cartilage
- Takes at least one month to see benefits
- Mild gastrointestinal side effects
- Avoid glucosamine if you have a shellfish allergy, or look for “shellfish free” options
Wish you all happy and healthy living.